Be true to who you are…..

And the family name you bear……


Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Vanilla Extract

I love cooking with real food.. and real food is expensive if we are talking money.
Real food is fun if we are talking saving our money and providing for our own.


Today, I am making a new batch of vanilla.  I made the old batch eight years ago and I have just been adding to it as the years come and go.  This year the beans are finally getting weak enough to justify buying some new ones.  And by justify I mean justify.. they have gotten so expensive.  The tall slender beans that you see in my old bottle, I paid ten bucks for.  This time,  I paid an arm and a leg for these little ugly beans.  However,  when you average it out over the next eight years, the savings is there.



What you need:

1)  a bottle of vodka

If you use ibotta they are offering some really good kickbacks on vodka from Walmart right now.  If you don't use ibotta, it is free to sign up here, They are awesome at supplying rebates on everyday purchases.

2)   vanilla beans



That's it.  oh, and about five minutes of your time.




I like to use bottles with the flip top lid, they last longer than the metal screw on.






Any bottle will work though, even a decorative one from the dollar store.






 unwrap your vanilla beans.



use a sharp knife to slice them open.





Drop them in.  set it on your counter and every so often give it a good shake. Or don't... vanilla isn't picky about the amount of attention it receives. In about 6 weeks you will have oodles and gobs of vanilla extract. As you deplete it add more vodka to the beans.




Simple and basic.  Easier than getting that stupid sticker off my new bottle anyway.  Now, what other plans do you have for the rest of your day?



*I have been asked if you need to let the vanilla sit for an additional six weeks when you add vodka.  If you add to it regularly and in small amounts the answer is no.  I knew my beans were wearing out so I have not replenished this bottle in a long time.  If I were to add to it at this stage, yes, I would let it sit at least a couple of weeks.

Have a great day, Ladies!




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about using a flip top bottle, I made mine a couple years ago. Yes the beans are expensive! But I made it in a quart jar wide mouth, now the lid is crusty and its difficult to pour. Obviously since its a large quantity and needs to soak, I did not put in small bottles like it normally comes in. I may try and transfer to a flip top now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first batch I made with a twist lid and actually twisted the stupid thing in half after the first year. lol, I have seen flip top bottles at the dollar store and Walmart. I am always tempted to buy one because even the 360 bottle can be heavy and awkward when you are only trying to pour a teaspoon but I never do because then I'd have to keep track of two bottles and I'm too lazy for that.

    ReplyDelete