Be true to who you are…..

And the family name you bear……


Monday, March 30, 2009

A Daughter of The King


I gave birth to four boys in a time frame of five years. It didn't bother me because I knew the Lord would send me twelve children and if he wanted to have the six boys born first...well, I was good with that. Then baby number five came along, I was having a lot of trouble with this pregnancy, a torn placenta causing lots of bleeding and some silly JKB factor that said Shane and I had incompatible blood (I think our blood is very compatible). My midwife would not assist me with this one at home and sent me to the doctor. Because of this trouble I had to have six different ultrasounds, during one of them, with four little boys gathered around the screen, the doctor asked if I wanted to know the sex of the baby?
I looked out the window and said "Well, you can tell me if you want to but my husband only makes boys." to which he promptly responds "then, my dear, you have some explaining to do..." I sat there dumb founded, not sure what to say next. I had two more hunting buddies to go and now there would be a girl in the works?

As the pregnancy progressed and, ultrasound after ultrasound showed her to be a girl, I began to see us in the kitchen cooking and cleaning together. I planned how we would sew and garden, and can the produce while the boys were hunting. I could raise this one to be like me!
It was a very sweet thought until the first time I held that little pink bundle in my arms.
I looked into those innocent eyes and realized, for the first time, that I didn't want her to be anything like me. I suddenly felt very inadequate to the task that lay before me.
It was easy to raise boys because I didn't have to model manhood, I only had to tell them about it. But, this ~this was a whole new ball game and any false step could mean her ruin.
So it was, nine years ago, I fell to my knees and like Moses poured out my excuses for why the task was too great. And the Lord true to his character said " I chose the least worthy so that I will be glorified."
And so I have walked, not perfectly,  not even close. But God is faithful and when I look at the Kings daughter and the daughter who came after her, I see Him glorified. Her mind is pure, she has the heart of a servant. She desires to be a wife and mother and even today prays for her children yet to come, that she may raise them to be lovers of Christ.
I can say of her "The King's daughters were among thy honorable women.....The King's daughter is all glorious within." Psalm 45. To God be the glory.
Happy Birthday, Bethany, may the Lord bless thee and keep thee: the Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. I love you.






No comments:

Post a Comment