Be true to who you are…..

And the family name you bear……


Thursday, May 7, 2009

Morning Glories

My goat Mopsey, is special, she is a morning glory. I love her for that because I too am a morning glory. Every morning when I head out the back door for milking Mopsey is standing ready at the gate. Nickering and coaxing me to hurry, she just HAAAS to get on that stand!
So, I let her out and away she goes jumping up on the stand as if she could live there forever. Mopsey, however, has an irritating habit, half way through milking she tires of standing still and jumps ship. This has happened day after day, year after year. In fact it is such a common occurrence that the first time she shows up at the gate to be let in, the boys don't even ask they just bring her back.
I don't know what it is that sets her off...maybe she hears her babies in the barn and decides that I have had my share or maybe her oats run low or are not as good as she remembered them being the day before...For what ever reason she has had enough and quits. That is why she is my morning glory.
Have you ever watched a morning glory flower? First thing in the morning ~while the rest of us are still chugging down coffee~ they are up with every ounce of energy they have blooming, but then when the heat hits and life is a little uncomfortable they wither and hide. They quit before the day is over.

How many times do I have a morning glory attitude?

When I start a project am I determined to see it through? Or when the going gets rough do I pack up and head out? When Satan attacks and sends arrows of doubt do I turn and run or dig in on my knees where I belong?
The Christian walk is not easy. It is full of trials and temptations. We will fall on a daily if not hourly basis but if we give up, remember~ Satan wins.

There should be no morning glories in Christ's service. We, like the apostle Paul should declare.."but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
The prize....eternal peace.... let us press forward.

Now, Mopsey's habit would be easy enough to fix. The solution was given to me over and over by my boys..."Mother, you need to tie her....tie her mother and she won't do that!" They became so disgusted with me that I finally had to tell them my story. Now, our "Morning Glory" serves as a daily reminder.... when she jumps ship we feel the frustration and are reminded of our own failure and vow to do better. We vow to press forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment