Be true to who you are…..

And the family name you bear……


Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What a Nut!

If there is anything I have learned from raising goats it's that ~I have not learned anything about raising goats. Last November, Nutmeg gave birth to two little doelings. They were so cute and I was so excited because that meant Winter milk!! In March, after milking her all winter, I decided to let her dry up. The other girls had freshened so I had plenty of milk and maybe she would come back in to heat and we could have milk next winter too.

Last week I received a call from a lady looking for dairy doelings and ended up selling Nutmeg's two daughters. She was a little sad to see them go and that night I noticed her bag was really full. The next day she was worse, and looking miserable. I can be so heartless..."Serves you right lady for letting those gals nurse so long. Seven months old and they were still nursing~ shame on you!"

Monday, she was in terrible shape, sluggish and hanging out in the barn. Great! she's getting mastitis on me... what a goat! I went to the house for the meds and a bucket so I could milk her out. I got side tracked ( Never!) and ended up going out there about an hour after I intended to. Finding her.......and him. The poor gal was bagging up and sick because she was in labor. I was so stunned.
Nutty shouldn't have been pregnant. She would have come in to heat when her babies were two months old AND in the dead of winter. Dairy Goats do not do that....well, obviously they do BUT normally they do not do that.
Needless to say I am no longer disgusted with my little gal. Now I am impressed. Over the winter she had single handily (hoofedly?) raised two babies, gave her human family a half gallon a day and grew another baby besides. What a woman!
I wonder how many times in the coarse of my life I misjudge the actions of others... How many times have I rolled my eyes and judged another soul when the battle they are fighting may not be so obvious? How much better would it be to lend a helping hand instead of shooting a fiery dart?
Through out the bible, servant's of God pray for him to open the eyes of his people. That too should be my constant prayer. Let me see life through your eyes, Lord. Give me holy vision that my judgement might be perfect. Remove my blinders and let me see as you see.

....for the LORD seeth not as man seeth;
for man looketh on the outward appearance,
but the LORD looketh on the heart.





No comments:

Post a Comment