Be true to who you are…..

And the family name you bear……


Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Breakfast

I love making breakfast for my family... okay, the truth is I don't.  I love my cup of coffee, my bible and the sun coming up while I sit on the deck...... trust me, it is a rare thing for either option to happen.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and while our house has a good supply of bacon, eggs, waffles and yogurt some days just try to rip my feet out from underneath me before I can even get out of bed in the morning...... you too huh?

Well here are two guilt-free cold cereal options to have on hand for mornings when the crew just needs to feed themselves.

P.S. both are good on yogurt too!



Muesli:

mix together Oats,
dried fruit (bananas, apricots, pineapple, dates, raisins, whatever you have)
and nuts (sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, again, whatever you have)
to make 8 cups of dry ingredients.



then in a separate bowl mix

1 cup honey
1 cup butter (melted)
4 TB brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon


pour over dry ingredients and stir well

spread in a roasting dish and bake at 350* for 30 minutes stirring every 10 until golden brown.




this will brown up quite a bit after removing from oven, do not overcook.






Grapenuts:


2 cups water
2 cups milk
1 cup honey
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
7 cups wheat flour

mix all ingredients together to form a cake like batter.



divide between two lightly greased rimmed cookie sheets.

Bake 350* 35-40 minutes switching and checking half way through.



after baking and while still warm break cake into small pieces and grind in a blender.



I drop small amounts into the blender and use the ice chopping button. once ground I dump those and add more chunks to blender.

You can also wait until it is completely cool and run through a meat grinder but I find it to be too much to clean up.


after it is all crumbled up put back in the oven at 300*  stirring often until dry and crisp.
This one takes a lot longer than the Muesli to brown and dry out but it is so worth it.








Both recipes can be adapted to your needs.  We use honey because we keep bees. You may have maple syrup or molasses on hand neither are unpleasant.

It is a great idea to make both of these on the same day because you will only have to wash the roaster pan once.... and that is a win in my book any day.

Enjoy your kingdom today, Ladies!

1Tim 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment